Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Orange Chicken

For the longest time I've been meaning to drop by "THAT" restaurant that serves this particular dish but I keep fighting the urge to do so.
What? Am I dieting? Heavens no! (but I'm trying to eat smarter, though.) I'm trying my hardest to save up for a kitchen aid and upon checking the pantry and the fridge, I had all the ingredients to recreate the dish. (Yes stingy me is trying to save a buck or two.)
So off to the kitchen I went!
This is not exactly what you call "health food." I mean come on! It's fried chicken for crying out loud. Then it's drenched in a sweet, tangy, spicy sauce and served on a bed of white rice. No brown rice here. It's full carbs or nothing. So if you're looking for a healthy meal, I suggest you keep looking. I, on the other hand, will enjoy my dinner. If you want to give it a try, check out the recipe. (Please note that I do not measure the ingredients when I cook, so I kinda eyeballed the measurements in this dish.)

Orange Chicken

4 pcs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 tsp grated ginger
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp orange zest
1/2 tsp ground pepper
6 to 7 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar (i used brown sugar)
1/4 cup soy sauce ( i used low sodium)
1 cup orange juice
1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp + 2 tsp cornstarch dispersed in
2 tbsp water

For the coating:

2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tbsp water
1 cup cornstarch
cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp baking soda
Canola oil for deep frying.

In a saucepan, combine ginger, garlic, orange zest, pepper and cayenne. Add chicken broth, orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar. Stir.
Measure out 3/4 cup of the marinade and put in a resealable bag and marinate chicken pieces 30 mins to 60 mins. (keep in fridge).
Heat remaining marinade until slightly thickened.
Add cornstarch mixture and continue to cook until sauce is translucent. Set aside.

Drain chicken pieces and pat dry.

In a bowl, combine cornstarch, cayenne, baking soda. In another bowl, beat the eggs and add water. Dip the chicken pieces in the egg mixture then dredge in cornstarch mixture.
Deep fry the chicken pieces and transfer onto plates lined with paper towel.
Reheat the sauce if necessary and toss with the cooked chicken pieces. Serve with rice.








No comments: